Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I work as a nanny and was placed with a family through an

Customer Question

I work as a nanny and was placed with a family through an agency. I signed a document that stated, word for word: "Nanny understands she has been screened and referred through Southern Nannies at no cost to her with the understanding that if she leaves her position before her one year agreement is complete then placement fees will apply. All positions require a one year agreement that of which most clients will allow you to leave with a 30 day notice. However, Southern Nannies expects you to make the commitment to the position for the full 365 days or be held responsible for placement fees of having to replace you. Because it takes time and money to find candidates and Southern Nannies Plus Inc. doesn’t charge you for the screening process if you leave without good cause; you will be responsible for paying half of whatever the placement fee is for the position you have been screened and referred too. Southern Nannies Plus Inc. will determine what warrants good cause for leaving position. Southern Nannies Plus Inc. understands that life can change and we are willing to be work with the nanny. If you are fired due to lack of completing job duties to the standard agreed on by you and your employer the entire placement fee is due. " I feel the position was misrepresented to me, and I am not receiving things that I am entitled to: ***** ***** of my contract, paystubs, and overtime pay (this is an hourly, not salaried position). I want to leave, but the agency is telling me I will owe them $1125 if I do, and I don't have that money. Please help me!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

And I am only going to be online a few more minutes and then I'll be off for the rest of the evening and then back online tomorrow morning so if I miss you tonight I'll pick up again tomorrow morning when I sign on.