Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I am prescribed low dose oxycodone from my physician..can an

Customer Question

I am prescribed low dose oxycodone from my physician..can an employer refuse to hire me knowing I am.prescribed this med.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My medical doctor issued me my DOT card while on these meds because I do not take them during work hrs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

If your doctor will certify that you are able to safely perform all your job functions, then the employer may not deny employment on this basis. So, you will need to speak with your doctor and get a note to this effect. With such a note, any denial of employment on the grounds you have been prescribed medical would be a violation of the ADA.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....