Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

Employment Law question. My employer offered me a written

Customer Question

Employment Law question. My employer offered me a written employment agreement. Now they want to amend it because they wrote it incorrectly - over a year ago. The crossed out some words and initialed it and now they want me to initial it and agree to the changes. However, they did not correct all the "mistakes". For example, one section says I work 40 hours per week. The other section says I work no more than 1680 hours per year, which works out to about 32 hours per week. The third section says I can never work more than 40 hours per week. The fourth section says I can only work 40 hours per week with prior approval by my manager.
Since changing the number of hours I work per week essentially changes my hourly rate, I want to refuse to sign the "amended" employment agreement and negotiate a new employment agreement that gives me something back, something that is less one-sided. Am I within my rights to do this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Yes you have the right here to negotiate a better deal.You do not have to agree to the one that was offered.Since this affects your rights with employer you want to try for the best deal you can get.So keep on negotiating here for a better outcome.

You are doing the right thing to try and steer this in your favor before you agree to it and sign it.Absolutely no harm here in trying for better deal and employment contract.You have the right to do so as the employee and a party to the contract.Maybe you can get a better deal in your favor with better terms, etc on your behalf under New Mexico law.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

If you can rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated, thanks for letting me help you today.