Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I just gave my employer notice to leave my job due to unsafe

Customer Question

Hi, I just gave my employer notice to leave my job due to unsafe conditions. I am in Albuquerque, and I have to go into areas sometimes that are very unsafe because of crime to do job walks as I am in sales. Do I have a legal stand to collect unemployment? I gave a month notice to my employer to stay in good standing with them?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Mexico.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It is at will full time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.
You do. Unsafe conditions amount to termination with it cause.You may also want to consider negotiating for a severance package.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.

thanks in advance.

Happy labor day weekend.