Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

Am I required to pay a potential employee for pre employment

Customer Question

Am I required to pay a potential employee for pre employment training? If so, how soon after they are hired am I required to pay them.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Federal law requires that employees must be paid the minimum wage for all time they spend performing any work for an employer. Attending required training is considered work, because the employee is not free to spend their time as they choose. There is an exception for workers under the age of 20, if and only if they're not replacing other works while training. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say, yes, your employees must be paid for time spent training.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?