Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

On September 30, an employee walked up to me and choked me

Customer Question

On September 30, an employee walked up to me and choked me by put her hands around my neck and bragged about it to another employee. The person did admit to human resource that she put her hands around my neck. I believe that she meant to cause me harm and humiliate me. I found her conduct to be unwanted. I filed a report with the local police station and they went to the facility to investigate. There has been other threatening incidents that occurred and nothing was done about them.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

Employers have a legal duty of care to protect their employees from undue harm and physical injury in the workplace. This includes taking reasonable actions to keep people with a known history of aggressive behavior off the premises and away from workers. Those actions include running criminal background checks, administering drug tests, checking references, and disciplining or firing workers who display aggressive behavior. When your employer doesn't take reasonable actions to protect you from workplace violence and you are injured, you may have the right to file a third-party lawsuit. This requires proving your employer failed to protect you, and the failure constituted gross negligence or a wanton disregard for your safety.

Workers have a right to a safe workplace. The law requires employers to provide their employees with safe and healthful workplaces. The OSHA law also prohibits employers from retaliating against employees for exercising their rights under the law (including the right to raise a health and safety concern or report an injury). Workers may file a complaint to have OSHA inspect their workplace if they believe that their employer is not following OSHA standards or that there are serious hazards. Workers can file a complaint ( with OSHA by calling 1-800-321-OSHA (6742), online via ecomplaint form, or by printing the complaint form and mailing or faxing it to the local OSHA area office. Complaints that are signed by a worker are more likely to result in an inspection. For other worker protection information, such as Workers' Rights, Employer Responsibilities, and other services OSHA offers, visit the OSHA website (

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?