Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.

22 months ago I was let go from my employer. They are a

Customer Question

22 months ago I was let go from my employer. They are a multi location New England lumber retailer with a millwork operation where they made staircases. I was an stair specialist involved in sales, design and estimating. I was told that the reason I was let go was that they had decided to no longer build or sell staircases. Two other employees who worked in the millwork shop building stairs were let go at the same time.
Recently I discovered that the company never ceased promoting or selling stairs. I have new employment, but at a greatly reduced salary. Can I make any kind of financial claim against my previous employer for wrongful termination?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Unfortunately, this is legal. Allow me to explain why. An employer generally has the right to terminate an employee FOR ANY REASON.

The only reasons one cannot be fired for are:

-PUBLIC POLICY (discrimination based on race, religion, creed, etc; or, a retaliatory termination due to a claim made by an employee); or
-CONTRACT POLICY (if one has a contract that disallows such a termination)
-COVENANT OF GOOD FAITH (firing an employee to avoid paying a benefit, for example)

Otherwise, an employer can terminate for any reason, without notice. It can be based on a mistaken rumor, or, just the fact that they do not like your shoes one day. You will hear "right to work" a lot. However, that does not mean what people think it means. All this means is that at time of being employed, the employee has a choice whether or not to join a union as a condition of employment.

So the employer mislead you as to the reason of your termination because they did not want to be outright rude, perhaps. But that does not mean that you can demand to be rehired, or sue for wrongful termination - the employer still had the right to terminate at any time.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the You SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.