CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I am a CPS retired teacher and would like to work as a

Customer Question

I am a CPS retired teacher and would like to work as a substitute teacher.( Pension code) (40 ILCS 5/17) provides that, a retiree may return to work for CPS on a part time or temporary basis for no more than 100 days. Is a substitute teacher classified as a temporary teacher since substitute teachers don't have to be certified teachers?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

It is possible to work as a substitute teacher - the limitations are based on the 100 day/500 hour rule, explained here:

Your post-retirement benefits (including the right to work and limitations on the same) are described in detail in Chapter 10 of this handbook: (begins at page 144 in the PDF).