Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I recently put my two weeks notice in for my work and my

Customer Question

I recently put my two weeks notice in for my work and my last day was supposed to be on September 2nd. When putting in my two weeks I asked about when my insurance, which I get through them, would end. They said it would end at the end of the month that I last work. Which would mean it would end on September 30th. When they started making my termination papers I saw that my end date was changed from September 2nd to August 31st (today). I have worked for this company for three years now and it wouldn't shock me if they are changing my last day to get out of having to cover the insurance for the month of September. Is my company allowed to change my last day even though on my notice it says September 2nd and they accepted it as such?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Unless you have a contract that requires a certain period of notice from both you and your employer before terminating the employment arrangement, then neither you nor your employer owe the other party any notice prior to termination. In other words, you would be considered an "at will" employee, which means that your employer can accept your resignation immediately, or on any day they choose. Likewise, as mentioned, you would not be required to give notice to quit either.

So, again, unless that contract exists, they could change your last day of work to fit their needs. That said, you will be eligible, if you need it, for COBRA coverage that would cover you from your last day of employer health plan coverage. You might not receive your COBRA rights for up to 44 days (employer and plan administrator combined have that long to get the information and opt in information to you), but if you elect it, then it will be backdated as I mentioned.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the the 31st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.