Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I work for a company that plays by there own rules and

Customer Question

I work for a company that plays by there own rules and treats employees by there rules and standards...(they play favorites) ... this company doesn,t do everthing by the book and they know employees such as myself are tired of there bs... the owner won,t fire us because shes a jew and doesn,t want to pay unemployment yet she suspends us up to 5 days....can i quit and still recieve unemployment considering the circumstances? theres so many more examples of what the company does wrong i could give u.... I got suspended today for there miscommunication and i,m stressing because they don,t care if my bills are paid or not long as the owner makes money...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Unfortunately, as a general rule, when an employee quits they will be disqualified from receiving unemployment benefits. This is because one of the requirements for receiving benefits is that the claimant be unemployed "through no fault of their own." When an individual quits, they are generally regarded as unemployed "through fault," since they made the voluntary decision to become unemployed.

The only exception to this rule is if you could demonstrate that you quit for reasons amounting to "good cause." However, this is a very high standard that requires you to demonstrate that no reasonable persona would have remained employed under the circumstances. Candidly, the facts you have described are unlikely to meet that standard, even though the circumstances are understandably quit frustrating and you are completely right to no longer want to work there.

If you are on an unpaid suspension, you can apply for unemployment benefits now--it doesn't matter whether you have formally been "terminated." There is a one week "waiting period" for UI benefits so if the suspension does not exceed one week you won't get anything, but it can't hurt to apply.

Otherwise, it would be prudent to start looking for new work now and quit only once you've secured an offer of employment somewhere else. It will also be easier for you to find another job while you are still employed, as studies have consistently shown that employers prefer to hire applicants whom they perceive to be "in demand," already working somewhere else

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Was there anything else I can do for you?