CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

My company who i resigned from has accused me of removing

Customer Question

My company who i resigned from has accused me of removing company information and that they have a witness to say that i removed files in a box and put them in my car. They are threatening me with the police. i never removed any files and wonder what i can do to respond
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

I am sorry to learn of this situation. You need to be very careful with your response here. If you wish to respond to your former employer you can do so in a very simple and clear letter (a sentence or two) that simply states you did not remove any property belonging to the company and that any information or statements to the contrary are mistaken.

However, if you are contacted by law enforcement (if they actually do contact the police), you will want to retain a lawyer. Do not speak to the police without a lawyer present (even if the police send a detective or ask you to call them informally). It is very easy to get confused, flustered, or say something that you don't mean or doesn't come across correctly when you are talking to a police officer, and you cannot be forced to give testimony against your own interest, or to speak to law enforcement without an attorney.

So, if you are in fact contacted by a police officer or detective let them know politely that you need to speak with your attorney before you can answer their questions concerning the matter, then contact a criminal law attorney (I don't think it is necessary to call one now, very likely your company is not going to actually file any report at all).