John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

What steps can an employer take if they feel they are being

Customer Question

What steps can an employer take if they feel they are being treated unfairly/inappropriately by a DOL investigator? Our company has complied with all aspects of an investigation that was conducted 15 months ago, but the investigator continues to harass us. We have literally spent more than 100 hours on the phone with her. She requires us to make a phone appointment, then she usually reschedules, her favorite time is 4:30 on Friday...she keeps us on the phone for hours and keeps changing what we are required to send her next.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

A couple of ideas from past experience. Some investigators tend to become overly zealous. It may be they have begun to take a personal interest in the case for whatever reason, but even the claimed infraction if true wouldn't call for all they are demanding. What I'd suggest doing first is going to the director of the particular office of DOL and complaining about the treatment - namely requests for excessive and irrelevant information. You can generally find out who this is and how to contact them on the DOL website. For me, this has worked and resolution quickly occurred thereafter. The second idea, which I haven't tried, but would if the first option hadn't worked, is to contact your congress person because beyond going to the head of the DOL you'd then have to go to the president, which let's be realistic isn't going to do anything about a single claim.

Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.