Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I work with home health. This week I did not get paid for

Customer Question

I work with home health. This week I did not get paid for one week because supposedly I didn't turn in some training sheets. They say they are required by the state but my daughter works for home health care and has never had to do them. I have worked for this company for about 16 yrs now. Is it legal for them to do this?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not really I guess Anything you think I should share
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome.

No, it's not legal for an employer to deny an employee compensation for hours worked because they failed to turn in training sheets. Your employer can discipline you in other ways, but they cannot withhold wages like this as punishment for not following instructions. If your employer still refuses to you what you earned, you can file a wage claim with the Department of Labor here.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....