Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

My boss is wrote up a plan to discipline me within 30 days

Customer Question

Hi! My boss is wrote up a plan to discipline me within 30 days if I don't stop aggressive behavior and up my performance - completely fabricated as my performance from my last 3 years of reviews were good and got raises, and she can't give me any examples of aggressive behavior. She wrote this up after I complained to HR that she was harrassing me and cited negative pregnancy comments - I'm 7 months pregnant and I'm due the week of the staff's biggest project and she said my pregnancy put her in a bad position. Should I tell HR I think this is retaliation, or file with the eeoc? What are my options to try to stop this?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

It is illegal for your employer to discriminate because of your pregnancy. See link:

and you would report it to the EEOC after you spoke to HR first. Maybe it can be dealt with internally before it becomes a bigger issue. If HR doesn't put a stop to it then you can go the EEOC route. see link:

The documentation of your aggressiveness and subpar performance better be good or there could be a claim of discrimination based on your pregnancy. Document (even if only in a written diary) anything that happens as it relates to discrimination and your pregnancy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?