Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I work for a rather large employer, I should indicate that

Customer Question

Hi Pearl: I work for a rather large employer, I should indicate that I'm an HR person. While I know an employer can change your job based on the needs of their business, is it lawful for someone to hire you for a professional job and to not allow you to do that job? Job has become completely clerical. Do I have any recourse?
JA: I love working for Andy. Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MI
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Just that my manager has falsely placed me on a largely made up action plan that I will successfully complete, no sweat, in a week.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly.

Your question:

is it lawful for someone to hire you for a professional job and to not allow you to do that job? Job has become completely clerical.

Response 1: Unfortunately, yes, the employer can do that if you do not have employment contract/agreement that specifies that the employer cannot do that.

Do I have any recourse?

Response 2: None except that a case for constructive termination could be made if you were to leave your job.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you,