Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

In Feb I gave my resignation letter. At that time, the CEO

Customer Question

In Feb I gave my resignation letter. At that time, the CEO asked if I would stay until the end of August. I agreed and had vacation days scheduled for Aug29-Sept 7, was going to work through Sept 9 and then be done. (Vacation time is use or lose). Today I received an email from HR stating that my pay rate had been decreased by $64/hour and would also result in loss of other executive benefits effective Monday Aug 9. Is this legal for the company to decrease wages without discussion with the employee?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

While unfair, there is nothing illegal about an employer decreasing pay and taking away benefits provided this is not done retroactively (after the work has already been performed) and provided there is no contract specifically guaranteeing a particular rate of pay for a particular length of time. Otherwise, the rule is that employment is "at will" and as such the terms of employment--including pay--can be changed freely.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Are you still with me?