Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I need to know if there was a hippa violation. I work for a

Customer Question

I need to know if there was a hippa violation. I work for a doctor's office and during training at corporate we were told you have one time to be inside someone's heart without consent once you were found in this chart without consent you are after that terminated well my supervisor was in my chart check me into what's called Convenient Care Clinic because she was concerned I was crying a medical assistant brought this to her attention when I was not at work on a break this happened two other times I did not want to discuss it with her because I'm a private person I was on my time and I told her I do not want to discuss it with her she proceeded to bring this to another supervisors attention and talk to my primary care doctor about the situation which I feel was again a violation of my HIPAA rights I'm not sure that's why I'm asking again my direct supervisor went into my chart check me in to Convenient Care without my consent and I told her I am not going to be seen not by communicare nor by my primary doctor she called for the manager and I told her I'm refusing to be seen until I told them why I have been crying. I was so stress out I misscarried at work. I brought all of this to the managers attention and she said they were only concerned. My primary doctor said that was none of their business you grieve how you grieve. However I need to know was this a HIPPA violation?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Are you saying that your supervisor looked at your private medical records without your consent?

Did they discuss your medical records or issues with anyone else without your consent?