Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.

After three and 1/2/ years of employment and having

Customer Question

After three and 1/2/ years of employment and having discharged without a valid reason I believe I should be entitled to some type of severance pay
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have a written employment agreement providing for severance or guaranteed employment for a fixed period of time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

In the absence of a contractual obligation to do so, the employer has no legal obligation to pay severance to a departing employee.

That is not to say you can not ask and negotiate an exit package, just that the legal obligation must be established by written contract.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

This true regardless of how long you worked there.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.