Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I recently heard that companies that perform the

Customer Question

I recently heard that companies that perform the pre-employment background checks (CRA's) can no longer include the Social Trace results in the final report back to the end-user.
Is this correct and what is the exact reason that it is now not considered part of a Consumer Report?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 3 months ago.

Thats for using JustAnswer. A candidate is entitled to view their entire consumer background report which does include any social security traces that were completed. Any potential employer has no reason to exclude certain aspects of the report.

Feel free to ask follow up questions if you would like and please don't forget to rate me so that I receive credit for addressing your question (it does not cost anything additional)

Thank you,

Amber

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Not the candidate, I am referring to the employer. I have read that employers (end-user) are now not allowed to receive the results from the Social Trace only now.

CRA's can run a Social Trace but only to be used on their end to match identifiers and find address history to know what courts to search for criminal records.

I wanted to know the reason why employers (end-user) cannot receive the social trace result any longer?

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Okay, thanks.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

I am not finding any law that states that an employer cannot use Social Trace any longer; only that the employer cannot use those results themselves to be the basis for any employment decisions or the taking any adverse action.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.