hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law

I am a supervisor in an oil and gas company. We have two

Customer Question

I am a supervisor in an oil and gas company. We have two stores in cities about 2 hours apart. I have an issue with another supervisor. He works in the other store in another department. His sister was hired as my subordinate in the other store. Our boss immediately started receiving complaints about me from them. They were completely unfounded and i was reprimanded and demoted from supervising that store without any cause and without being allowed to even defend myself. The other supervisor was allowed to supervise his sister. The other supervisor also made derogatory comments about me and called me names in front of my subordinate and other employees. This was brought to the attention of our boss and he did nothing. The other supervisor has just been promoted and is now my direct supervisor. Do i have to work for him? I feel he has intentionally and maliciously made every attempt to discredit me to further himself. It should also be noted that these two, the supervisor and his sister, are the only people in the company that have any issues with me.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: wyoming
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I dont know if there is anything to discuss. As far as i know Wyoming is a right to work state and i can be fired without cause.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i am a woman if that makes a difference. When the other supervisor was promoted i did tell our boss that i was very uncomfortable with him being my supervisor considering his past behavior toward me. I was told we all need to get along.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. You are correct that you are currently in an at-will state which means the employment relationship can end at anytime. However, according to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission regulations, an employee is not allowed to be harassed or be put in a "hostile work environment". If you do feel you are in a hostile work environment, I would suggest bringing it up to your boss' boss. If nothing changes, you can file a claim for free on the EEOC website. Most of the time, employers will try to work with someone once they realize they may be doing something illegal so it could be as easy as just voicing your concerns in an official capacity.

Feel free to ask follow up questions if you would like and please don't forget to rate me so that I receive credit for addressing your answer (it does not cost anything additional to rate)

Thank you,