Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am working for a company that has just been sold. The new

Customer Question

I am working for a company that has just been sold. The new owner has offered all employees the same jobs at the new company including myself. The only thing is that throughout the negotiations the owner of the new company asked me to do several illegal and unethical tasks including misappropriation of funds, soliciting clients, and hiding information from partners. I do not want to sign with the new company and/or even answer the phone when he calls for fear of what he will try to assign me. Will I be able to collect unemployment while I look for a new job if I don't except the offer to work for the new company?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, if you do not accept the new offer, your employer may object to your application for unemployment benefits because you turned down a suitable job offer. As you know, in order to be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must be unemployed for not fault of yours. Also and more importantly, you cannot voluntarily quit your job. So, you may want to try to work there where you search for a new employment. However, you must decline to do anything illegal. If you are asked to to do it, then you can quit and then apply for unemployment benefits citing the illegal directives as your reason for being forced to leave.

Best wishes,