Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I supplied a house to an employee as part of their pay

Customer Question

I supplied a house to an employee as part of their pay package. Employee failed to show up for work and refuses to move out of the house. What are my legal options?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

You have to evict them, just as if they were renting from you and had failed to pay the rent. An eviction is the legal process used to remove someone from a property where they originally had a legal right to be.

You can either file the papers yourself, using the process described at http://www.arlegalservices.org/system/files/FSLandlordTenantEvictions.pdf or you can hire alawyer to handle the eviction and then sue for your attorney's fees as well.

There is another possible option, although it really doesn't fit and seldom works. You can ask the local police to issue a "criminal trespass warning" to the person giving them until a certain date to be out of the property. Usually the police will tell you that "it's a civil matter" and refuse to issue the warning but occasionally one will cooperate. Legally, you must use an eviction since the person was on the premises with permission in the first place but the criminal trespass is a shortcut if the police agree.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.