Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am in a Millwright local labor union. My regional council

Customer Question

I am in a Millwright local labor union. My regional council is attempting to impose a 250 to 1000 dollar fine on me for quitting a job. The job was two weeks seven days a week ten hours a day on the call out
The first day I was there the hours were reduced to six days ten hours a day.. the following week the job was reduced in hours again
Then the job was extended another week at the end of the two weeks plus reduced hours again. This whole time I only agreed to work two weeks seven tens
I have glanced over our Constitution and by laws and have seen nothing about the supposed no drag rule. Our previous ba typed a letter and sent it out to all members
Is there anything I can do to stop the council from imposing a fine on me
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if there is such a rule about not leaving a job prematurely and you had a contract stating you would work 2 weeks, then you could argue with them that they are in breach of the contract and not you worked the two weeks you agreed to work. However, without a written contract, if you agreed to take the job, they could push the issue and also could end up not giving you future work. I would send them a letter informing them that you did work the full two weeks that you agreed upon and you did not quit the job, your time you agreed upon ended.