RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I want to know what the rights are of police officer who

Customer Question

Hello, I want to know what the rights are of police officer who goes to work works there 10 hour shift then gets called out after being home 2 hours, works all the way through there next shift comes home for a few hours, then gets called back out? They are running on maybe 6 hours of sleep for the last few days. Is there a law to protect our police officers like there is for truck drivers?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you today.

While I agree that there should be, unfortunately no, there is no such state or federal law. That would be something worked out in an employment contract or union agreement.

A handful of states limit how much employees can work (e.g., giving a mandatory day off every 6 days), but even in those cases, it typically doesn't apply to emergency responders who are expected to be called out at a moment's notice.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!