Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My son is mentally handicapped with an IQ level of 68 and

Customer Question

My son is mentally handicapped with an IQ level of 68 and has worked at Walmart since May 1998. He just received a satisfactory performance evaluation in April 2016. A week before his termination he had a verbal warning and 1 coaching in his file for this year. A week before his termination, he told a Walmart assistant manager that he had made contact with a vehicle in the parking lot. The assistant manager, loss prevention manager and customer service manager (CSM) came out to parking lot took pictures of car. They sent my son back to work and they returned back to the store. Walmart management did not notify the customer about the incident concerning the vehicle. The customer left the store and did not report any damage. The next day, the assistant manager told my son that they had looked at video tape and it was not his fault. A week later, assistant manager said they looked at the tape again and they had to terminate him in accordance with Walmart policy. My son asked him about when he said not to worry about it that it was not his fault. The assistant manager stated I got to do what I got to do. The store manager is in Denver for a week. This Walmart store is located in St Marys Ga.
Glenn S. Segars for Phillip M. Segars
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your son's termination.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I appeal his termination? They have another non handicapped cart pusher who has hit 2 vehicles in the last 2 months and they have paid hundreds of dollars in damages. Walamart has not fired him but just restricted his use of the cart machine.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been in touch with the communications director for managing change at Walmart. We are trying to get some media coverage of this.

Thank you for the information.

You need to contact the store and ask to meet with the store manager to discuss your concerns. If you are ignored, you need to escalate this matter to the corporate headquarters. Then if the decision to terminate your son is not reversed, you can then go the news media. Going to the media now may make the matters worse and make Walmart less incline to reinstate your son.

Goodluck with your case,