Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I am on the city council in a small town in i also have a

Customer Question

i am on the city council in a small town in Ky i also have a towing business which is on police rotation is it a conflict of interest or not i take no pay from the city for this
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is no law in Kentucky that states that local representatives cannot have businesses on the side. In fact many do. In fact, many local councilmen are actually only part time, and concentrate the majority of their time on their business.

It is not a conflict of interest to have a legitimate business and to do business with the city while being on the council. However, one wants to be open about one's affiliation with the business, and may have to bow out of any voting for contracts, etc, due to the affiliation.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.