I am a salaried employee making in excess of 50K per year.

Customer Question

I am a salaried employee making in excess of 50K per year. Am I exempt to receive overtime pay?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Additionally, I have been informed that I must now complete a weekly time sheet tracking my hours.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
according to the the Department of Labor's description of an Administrative Exemption, my job is absolutely exempt from overtime compensation.
Expert:  bkb1956 replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

In 2014, President Obama directed the Secretary of Labor to update the overtime regulations to reflect the original intent of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and to simplify and modernize the rules so they’re easier for workers and businesses to understand and apply. The department has issued a final rule that will put more money in the pockets of middle class workers – or give them more free time.

The final rule will:

• Raise the salary threshold indicating eligibility from $455/week to $913 ($47,476 per year), ensuring protections to 4.2 million workers.
  • Automatically update the salary threshold every three years, based on wage growth over time, increasing predictability.
  • Strengthen overtime protections for salaried workers already entitled to overtime.
  • Provide greater clarity for workers and employers.

The final rule will become effective on December 1, 2016, giving employers more than six months to prepare. The final rule does not make any changes to the duties test for executive, administrative and professional employees.​

The following link contains excellent information (Q&A fact sheet) that you will find helpful:

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-o7k5zugu- replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

It seems that your question is on whether you need to fill out timesheet or not, because you are an exempt employee.

To request employees to fill out a timesheet is a management tool of the employer. It does not mean that the employee will be reimbursed if the employee works more than 37.5 hours or 40 hours. Timesheets serve many functions. Many industries bill hours to clients so that they have the employee fill out timesheets by project, by content, etc. Therefore, even attorneys, computer programs, and other professionals earning more than six figures need to fill out tmesheets. Physicians and hospital technicians, for another example, even may be paid more than non-exempt status wages also need to fill out timesheet. Nowadays, the timesheet is most likely entered through a certain software. The employees cannot just show up in the hospital to work at their free will and schedule without traceable records.

In addition, to track whether we have work enough hours to earn the sick and regular leave hours, there must be a certain system to keep time. Therefore, almost in all types of organizations, employers require timesheets filled out by the employee for one reason or another. At least, the employer will know and account for, to themselves and possibly others, where their employers are at all times.

Please feel free to follow up.

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP