Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

We are currently working on two projects for the City of

Customer Question

We are currently working on two projects for the City of Philadelphia, both of which are Prevailing Wage Projects. The City has implemented the LCP tracker program; all Certified Payrolls are now submitted online. We have two Subcontractors who are working on the projects, and they are both owner operator of their respective companies. It has always been our understanding that when reporting wages on Certified Payroll, owners need only list their name, work classification including "owner" and the daily/total hours worked. They do not need to list a rate of pay or amounts earned.One of these subcontractors filed their Certified Payroll report as stated above. The submission was rejected stating that they are required to show wages. Can you confirm that my understanding as stated above is correct?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, PA DOL requires reporting of prevailing wage wages for "all workers" on prevailing wage sites. So, even an owner/subcontractor, if they work on site they have to report their wages to make sure they are working in compliance to prevailing wage. The reason for this is that the owner/subcontractor could circumvent prevailing wage law by paying themselves less than prevailing wage and thus undercut others on doing prevailing wage jobs.