Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.

Can i take FMLA to help my wife with fertility shots if she

Customer Question

can i take FMLA to help my wife with fertility shots if she is pregnant and going out of the country for biz and can't do the shots herself?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A covered employer must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12 month period in order to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent – but not a parent “in-law”) with a serious health condition.

This is normally meant for an illness. Now, you are asking to qualify to help give your wife fertility shots. This is pushing the envelope a bit since you are not really taking care of her per se - she is traveling. She is not ill. And unless you are a nurse, then it is unlikely an argument can be made that it is reasonable to only use you.

Ergo, I am afraid that this would be a very long shot to qualify under FMLA. You can get her doctor to write a letter explaining that only YOU should go with her and for whatever reason, only YOU are qualified to give the shots, and her pregnancy is a DANGEROUS one (thus qualifying under illness, perhaps).

Even then, it is up to HR of your employer to decide. If they deny it, you can sue in court, but it would be a very weak case.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.