hrpro37
hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law
80178101

My granddaughter was working in a restaurant/bar. She is 17.

Customer Question

My granddaughter was working in a restaurant/bar. She is 17. She quit due to the repeated derogatory remarks from her boss about her appearance. Her boss made her change clothes because the dress she had on "made her look pregnant". This boss bends rules about break laws, alcohol serving laws, and makes remarks to other young women in her employ. She said to one, "you were ugly when you first came here". I would like to know where to direct my granddaughter... unemployment, BOLI, or EEOC? I think this could be sexual harassment, "graphic or degrading comments about an individual or his or her appearance".
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. It does sound like there is clear sexual harassment going on. I would recommend that your granddaughter begin documenting any comments that are made (include the exact comment, date, and time). Also, your granddaughter can file a claim for free with the EEOC.

Feel free to ask additional questions if you would like and please don't forget to rate me so that I receive credit for addressing your inquiry (it does not cost anything additional).

Thank you,

Amber

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is not working there now so can she also get unemployment benefits?
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 3 months ago.

She can apply for unemployment benefits and state that the work environment was hostile and she may receive the benefits. Keep in mind that there is a 180 day statute of limitation on filing a claim with the EEOC (that time is from the date of the last incident).

Thanks,

Amber

Expert:  hrpro37 replied 3 months ago.

Did you have any additional follow up questions? If not, please rate me so that I receive credit for addressing your question (it does not cost anything additional to rate).

Thank you,

Amber