Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

My employer allow my co-worker to harass me,when I approach

Customer Question

My employer allow my co-worker to harass me,when I approach and talk to my employer about it she said that she would talk with her, my next work day my co-workers continue to harass me, I went outside and waited for my employer to come, when she came in explained to her again about the harassing co-worker, my employer told me that we would have a meeting the next day, but she didn't allow me to work that day, at the meeting my employer didn't come to the meeting but her partner ( husband) talked to me, he said he wanted to understand what was going on so I explained everything to him, afterwards he said that should not be happening, he will talk with the harassing employer, he told me to take the next two days off and he will call to tell me what time to return to work, days later I was called by my employer, and was told that I will be off the next 2 weeks( without pay), because another co-worker is going on vacation, and she (the employer) doesn't want me and the harassing co-worker to work together, I explained to her that I can't afford to be off for 2 weeks without pay, she then told me to come in and get my final pay check, when I went in to pick up my check, an new worker had been hired.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

If the harassment directed at you is based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent medical leave use, it is illegal harassment and you should report the employer to the EEOC in your state.

If the harassment is not based on one of those factors though, then it is not illegal harassment. Courts would consider it workplace politics which they do not get involved in. You'd unfortunately have no recourse other than filing for unemployment.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.