Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I was terminated from my job August 12, 2016 without any

Customer Question

I was terminated from my job August 12, 2016 without any warning or evaluations - good or bad - since I started in 2013. What is my direction now? I'm shocked and stunned by my removal.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is highly unfortunate, but the general rule in PA is that employment is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

If you believe that you were terminated because of a legally protected trait or activity, it would be prudent to retain a local attorney and proceed with a claim for wrongful termination. Otherwise, though, I'm afraid your only options are to file for unemployment, as you have done, and attempt to reason with your employer to get them to reconsider their decision.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.