Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.

My employer wants to terminate / sever me out of seniority.

Customer Question

My employer wants to terminate / sever me out of seniority . We are union . Article 10 of the contract says 10 employees may elect to accept severance ,out of seniority , at the company's sole discretion and the company may sever employees ,out of seniority ,when an employees job classification and or skill set is no longer required upon ceasing of production or operations but before final site closure without being subject to the grievance or arbitration procedure
My classification nor my skill set has changed . Yet they want to terminate me before a junior employee . Possibly as long as 2 years before and at least 1 year before .
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I haven't been disaplined and have more certification than the employee they want to keep .
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 2 months ago.

Do you think they are terminating you because of age, race, gender, religion, or disability?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Okay, you will have o file a grievance with you union regarding the employer's breach of the collective bargaining agreement. The employer cannot breach terms agreed to by contract with the union.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.