Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I suffered a serious injury on the job in April 2013 and

Customer Question

Hi I suffered a serious injury on the job in April 2013 and filed for disability retirement. My employer terminated my medical coverage and never offered cobra coverage. It took almost 2 years for the retirement to be approved, and payment was retro active- but not medical coverage. I am now being sued for outstanding medical bills from this period with no coverage. Is my employer liable? I am not sure how to proceed. Thank you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to sue the employer for violation of your rights under COBRA, which under the law can make the employer liable to you for those medical bills for not offering you the coverage you were supposed to receive and for not giving you notice in advance your insurance coverage was cancelled and an opportunity to get new coverage.