Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I received a letter from the unemployment commission about

Customer Question

I received a letter from the Virginia unemployment commission about my unemployment benefits:In the letter it says, "whether or not you were discharged or suspended for misconduct."Can i talk with someone about this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It means your employer may be contesting your unemployment claiming you were terminated for some misconduct. You must file an appeal immediately with unemployment if they are denying you for this reason. It significantly increases your chances of success if you use an unemployment law attorney, they do not charge you up front and take a small percentage of your benefits they win for you.
So, you need to appeal and prove the reason you were terminated was not for any significant workplace misconduct to get your benefits.