John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am a nurse scheduled for 36 hours a week. We frequently

Customer Question

I am a nurse scheduled for 36 hours a week. We frequently pick up extra shifts for incentive. In the past we were able to use PTO if we are put on call for these shifts and they now say we cannot use PTO for anything over our 36 hours. Is this legal
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

Yes this is a legal practice. Paid time off is not mandatory per any law. Thus it is the employer's prerogative generally (assuming you do not have a union that negotiates the terms and conditions of your employment for you) to decide how and when PTO can be used. In short, yes than can limit use of PTO to achieve only up to 36 hours per workweek.

Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able toget credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.