Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I have a settlement agreement with former employer (school

Customer Question

I have a settlement agreement with former employer (school district). As part of the settlement I signed a waive and release. The district breached the settlement agreement by giving me a negative reference to another school district that I applied to. The settlement agreement states that I am to get a neutral reference. Can I file suit against the district for breaching the contract?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if they have breached the settlement agreement, this is a breach of contract and while you may have waived rights to sue for other reasons, you have a right to sue for breach of the settlement agreement and you would be entitled to recover damages plus attorneys fees from that breach. So at this point you need to hire a local attorney and you need to sue them if you did not get the job as well as for attorneys fees.