CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I have a court case regarding my last check. i need to know

Customer Question

i have a court case regarding my last check. i need to know how much i was paid. lost the check. is it legal for them to withhold that information from me?im in NC
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

If you have an active civil case you can get information from other parties by using the "civil discovery" process.

So you can issue "requests for production" (ask them for copies of your payment records/payment information)

"interrogatories" (ask them to answer questions you have)

"requests for admission" (ask them to answer yes or no questions)

You can usually find samples of these discovery tools in your local law library. Ask your law librarian for the resources available to them - but usually these will consist of "practice guides" (Handbooks used by attorneys to help facilitate faster and more efficient use of our time), "pleading guides" (sample motions, pleadings, and discovery documents that you can modify to match the facts of your case); and other resources that can help.