Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I received disability for a year. I went back to work

Customer Question

I received disability for a year. I went back to work because I was told that nobody gets disability their first time. It was either starve or work. I was very ill at the time and barely functioning. I then received a letter stating that I was overpayed 22,000$. I did a waiver, then an appeal, I brought in documentation to show low income. They denied everything and we agreed to a payment of 100$/month till I pay everything off. I want to go in front of a judge and plead my case. Can I still do that? Do I need a lawyer. Even though I worked I only made 18,000$ that year and I'm still struggling with my illness.I work PRN( on call). I cannot hold a full time job and I just needed assistance to get back on my feet. Is there anything I can do at this point?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you already reached an agreement in settlement, it is too late to go back to a judge and plead your case Also, only the director has the power to waive over payment, so a judge cannot disturb that decision unless it was against the law. The only thing you can consider perhaps is filing bankruptcy as the debt could be discharged in bankruptcy depending on your financial situation.