Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

My husband has worked for a private care agency for more

Customer Question

My husband has worked for a private foster care agency for more than 30 years. About 6 months ago he was give the duties of a part time employee in addition to his regular job duties. He has worked 7 days a week ever since and has not had the opportunity to have a vacation so far this summer because he had to cover other employee's vacation. He has been accused of seeming hostile when he went to talk about these changes with his supervisor. They put him on an improvement plan and keep on extending it with claims of hostility. I know my husband, he never raises his voice and never throws tantrums. Of course he is tense, he is being worked to death. What can be done?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

What State is his job located in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
PA
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Okay, please let me take a look at PA law on this and I will be back...

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

A few states limit the number of consecutive days that an employee can be required to work. Unfortunately, PA is not one of them. Illinois, Wisconsin and New York have laws that require each employee to receive one day off in each payroll week. These are referred to as “one day rest in seven” laws.

If, however, there is a vacation policy or a company policy that speaks to either the vacation issue or the number of consecutive days worked issue, then those policies must be enforced equally and there can be no discrimination based on race, gender, national origin, religion, age, or disability. Also, there can be no retaliation from the employer if your husband tries to stand-up for these rights.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are wanting a professional and honest answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome.