Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I have been asked to work on an art prpject (three murals

Customer Question

I have been asked to work on an art prpject (three murals 4ft by 12ft) -I have completed two of the panels, and 9 portraits (I have completed 6) and additional canvases for the lobby area. They have not offered payment for this work, but did pay for materials. I checked with management and they have said I could not take overtime to do these pieces, but I could do flexitime. So I have taken off a couple of afternoons early, and stayed over in the evenings to do this work. On Monday I got sick and called off. I made up for the 8 hours off by working four hours over one eveining and another four hours on Friday. Friday I was called into the office and told because I had Monday off I had gone over my limit of days off and this meant "instant termination". They said I could go home early and they would discuss it on Monday. I did not leave early, but honored my committment to complete the evenings work. My question is should I hand in a resignation on Monday rather than face termination. I have never been fired from a job in my entire career, and am confident that my work ife is ethical and sound. Also they are required to give me a written warning if and when I reached the point where I had taken off too much time. (No written warning was issued.) It is a very toxic work environment and I have been unhappy anyway, but I have soldiered on doing my best. This last incident just crushed me.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ohio
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Just that in the employee handbook it mentions that i should have a written warning prior to any danger of termination. I received no written warning. I also felt that I have gone above and beyond for my job (ie agreeing to do this project for no money in the first place), so am quite shocked at this treatment.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 6 months ago.

at this point I understand it a very terrible working environment. what specifically can I answer and what outcome are you seeking?