Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.

I am spouse of woman who works for a company being sued for

Customer Question

I am spouse of woman who works for a company being sued for damages, I have learned that I will be deposed as a witness by both, my wife's company lawyers and also by the plaintiff's lawyers. As her spouse, I have believe I may be privy to information that could be used against the company. Do I or my wife need representation? Currently neither of us has a lawyer. Also, my wife is still employed by the company.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CO
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: in 2 weeks I will be deposed
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Witnesses do not need attorneys for depositions. However, you can have one if you want to. This is especially true if you may have to state something that may out you or your spouse into civil/criminal liability.

Depositions can be nerve-wracking. Also deposed witnesses are often later subpoenaed for trial. It would not be a bad idea to have an attorney at the deposition, as they can help "control" the deposition responses.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!