Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I live in New Mexico. I have been on salary for 2 years. We

Customer Question

I live in New Mexico. I have been on salary for 2 years. We are tied into the oilfield and my pay was 85000.00 a year. The owner of the company cut only my pay to 60000.00 a year not the other salaried employees 2 weeks later he then cut all salaried employees %5 including myself again. They also doc my pay if I miss 1/2 days sometimes full days.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is not illegal to reduce your pay unless you have an agreement specifically guaranteeing a particular rate of pay for a set period of time. This remains true even if other employees did not also have their pay reduced.

Assuming you are a salaried employee, it is generally illegal for your employer to dock your pay for any partial day absence. FULL day absences due to illness or personal reasons can be docked, but if a salaried employees performs any amount of work on a given work day, their pay cannot be docked for that day.

You could file a wage claim to collect the pay that was illegally docked. First, you would need to make a formal demand that your employer pay you for this time. See here for more information about the wage claim process.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Very helpful!!

I am very glad I could help. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Are you still with me?