Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I am an RN and was invited to a Job Fair to apply for a

Customer Question

I am an RN and was invited to a Job Fair to apply for a position that I really wanted. I had called about the position weeks ahead and sent in an application. I was on a travel assignment at the time, finishing up my assignment. I returned home and got an email inviting me to the Job Fair. When I arrived I was greeted by a senior HR employee. She told me that I would not nevable to apply for THAT particular position. "We hire only from the inside for peri-op or one day surgery, so I'm sorry about that. You'll have to work here first and when it becomes available again, you can try again at that time". I was hired for another position and began orientation. During orientation, the job I wanted so badly was then opened for outsiders to apply. I was furious! What's going on here? Did this woman from HR discriminate against me? Can I file suit against this hospital?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You are understandably frustrated by this, but unfortunately what you have described does not violate the law. In general, employers have no obligation to be fair when it comes to hiring. So, no law prohibits them from claiming a position is only available to existing employees, even if they later change their mind, and even if they were lying in the first place. You would have to prove that you were denied this position specifically BECAUSE of a legally protected trait, such as your race or religion. In that case, it would be actionable under our civil rights laws. Otherwise, though, this is a frustrating situation with no legal solution, I'm afraid to say.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.