Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I work for the port of Seattle state government. I left my

Customer Question

I work for the port of Seattle state government. I left my personal cell phone on my bus, I'm a bus driver. The bus cleaner turned in my cell phone to my supervisor and told them it was my cell phone. My supervisor went into my personal texts and passed my phone around the office to the other supervisors. He used information inside of my text to open up an investigation. He tried to say he did not know it was my phone, but he text my wife at 8:30 pm and told her he had my phone. Later that night, another supervisor answered my phone at 11:30 pm. The information that was in my phone was passed to our manager where she opened up an investigation due to the contents in my phone where the union and HR my manager and myself were in a room and my manager read word for word what was in my text. Was my privacy violated and do I have a case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) Did your phone have a password/pass code? If so, how was it bypassed?

2) What kind of investigation was started? What information in the phone triggered the investigation?

3) Was this phone issued by your work, or not?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!