Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I am a home health nurse. There is a certain doctor who

Customer Question

I am a home health nurse. There is a certain doctor who prefers me to see his patients, and therefore sends referrals to the agency I work for. Are there any laws stating I cannot recieve a referral bonus from my agency AND be compensated for visits to see these patients?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, the Stark Laws would not prevent them from paying you a bonus or commission for you bringing in that doctor's patients to the agency, as it does not apply to midlevel professionals such as nurses. Thus, the company can give you, if they want, a bonus commission or extra compensation for bringing in the doctor's patients and pay you to see the patients as well.