Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.

Does a 40 hour per week employee, paid by a hourly wage

Customer Question

Does a 40 hour per week employee, paid by a hourly wage entiled to any sick day paqy, if they fail to report to work with a note from there doctor stasting the employee had a doctoros appointment ??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If the employee qualifies, they may be entitled to Family Medical Leave Act time, but, in the absence of a company policy extended to all employees, there is no general right to time off, whether for sickness or vacation, paid or unpaid.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.