Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I was just wondering if it was legal or ethical for my

Customer Question

I was just wondering if it was legal or ethical for my employer to give my personal information to an out side entity and published on the news
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Carolina , I work for Boeing
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet, I was doing research. I have a lawyer for the case but not on Boeing for releasing my name and address
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes, I was charge for state tax evasion. I been place on admimtrative leave with no pay. The case is not due in court u til December. I have not been convicted of anything. And no written notice or reason. Just pending investigation
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is not illegal to release an employee's name and address, as there is no legally enforceable right to privacy with respect to such information. For millions of people, such information can be found in the yellow pages and in online directories. It also would not be illegal to state that you have been charged with tax evasion, provided this is true. What might be actionable is if your employer made false statements about you, such as that you were GUILTY of tax evasion. If you could prove this was untrue then you might have a claim for defamation. But insofar as the release of an address and name are concerned, that does not violate any law. Whether it is unethical is a separate, non-legal matter. You could certainly argue it is unethical but that does not affect how the law treats the situation.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get paid for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.