Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

My manager screams at me once a month and once raised his

Customer Question

my manager screams at me once a month and once raised his fist in my face, recently he told me he was cutting my pay and I only make $14.00 per hour, $800.00 rent and child support. Can he cut my pay? can I miss work to get fired and still get unemployment?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Because employment is at will, your employer unfortunately can cut your pay unless you have a contract stating that you can only be terminated for cause. Essentially, he's letting you go and offering to rehire you at the new, lower salary, and this is allowed. The minimum wage in Massachusetts is $10/hour, so he cannot go below that, but it's otherwise allowed. You have a right as an employee to reject the pay cut and seek other employment.

When a person is fired due to attendance, that's legally considered job abandonment, and you unfortunately would not be eligible for unemployment. However, if your manager cuts your pay substantially, that could be considered good cause for quitting.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.