Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

I was just wondering about a wrongful termination that

Customer Question

I was just wondering about a wrongful termination that occurred in March of this year. I was working for KBR in Borger Texas and the safety manager on the project let me go for refusing to wear gloves that were so big that they were a safety issue for me to wear. New policy was put in place by the company and it gave a deadline for all employees to wear impact resistant gloves any time they were on the jobsite. there were some exclusions that applied and with me being in the safety position that I was, I met the exclusions. I was wrote up for it by the supervisor then I went to HR and they sent me back to work saying that nothing would be in my file in regards ***** ***** write up. I will say that there were 2 approved gloves on the list that could be worn and the alternative gloves that were on the list had been taken from me by the supervisor. A week later, the safety manager in question fired me from the job. About a month after the termination, the safety manager in question was fired from the company...would I have a case
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: A week after the termination I went to take my OSHA 510 and then a couple weeks later I took my OSHA 500 Trainer class which I passed both with flying colors. I also understand that OSHA was called out to the site by some of the employees that were going through the same things that I was and that the company was found in violation of many other things
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

You have a case as the termination is wrongful, retaliatory and without basis.

Practically, consider having an employment lawyer locally reach out to management - seeking to use leverage of possible lawsuit to negotiate a settlement out of court - which is cheaper and faster for all involved.